The Association of Raza Educators was established to uphold the rights and liberties of the Raza community. Education is essential to the preservation of civil and human rights. It provides the foundation for all political and economic progress and it must be a basic right of all people. Making this right a reality is the fundamental objective of A.R.E. Raza has been and continues to be oppressed by the educational system within the United States. Therefore, we are obligated to ensure that education serves as a tool for the liberation of our community.
La Asociación Educadores de la Raza fue establecida para resguardar los derechos y libertades de nuestra comunidad. La educación es esencial para la preservación de los derechos civiles y humanos. Provee la fundación para todo tipo de progreso político y económico y debe ser un derecho básico para todos los pueblos. Convertir este derecho en una realidad es el objetivo fundamental de ARE. Nuestra Raza ha sido y continua siendo oprimida por el sistema educativo de los Estados Unidos. Por lo tanto, tenemos la obligación de asegurar que la educación sirva como una herramienta para la liberación de nuestro pueblo.
- Establish a Raza educator-led social movement that will fight for the liberation of our people
- Promote educational opportunities for Raza students at all levels
- Hold educational institutions accountable for the unacceptable, oppressive conditions affecting Raza teachers and students
- Reclaim and create strategic spaces where students, parents, community members, and educators are supported and their voices are heard
- Review and write culturally relevant curricula which acknowledge the contributions of our Raza
- Work towards the establishment of Ethnic Studies at all levels
- Support and develop private and community controlled educational centers, programs, and schools designed to improve the advancement and liberation of our people
- Discuss relevant issues to the Raza community
- Look for ways to collaborate with other organizations to help our community
- Provide a space for progressive educators to develop professionally
A.R.E. grew out of a response to the continued stereotyping and violation of the civic and human rights of the Raza community. Furthermore, we are continuously used as scapegoats for the problems in our society. We believe that our people must be organized and truly educated in order to take effective action against politicians, corporations, political organizations, and state institutions responsible for the oppression of our community.